Spring Cleaning (it’s not too early)
It’s almost spring. Promise. Most of the snow is gone. We’re left with only the most persistent dirty snowbanks lining roads and sidewalks. Oh, the glory of spring!
Spring cleaning is a thing. It means a lot of things. For some, it means donating big bags of clothing to charity. For others, it means scrubbing the whole house with a toothbrush and doing your annual behind-the-refrigerator clean. But it should also mean a biannual check of your home. Because small, regular repairs are easier and less expensive than huge, inconvenient repairs.
Here’s what to do.
1) Check your AC unit. You’ll need it before you know it. And if you wait until July to discover something’s not right, you’ll have a long, sweaty wait for a repair. If you didn’t replace the filter at the end of last season (because who plans ahead like that?), change the filter now. Dust it. Clean it. Whatever level of clean helps you sleep at night. It’s not a bad idea to have a professional come give it a once-over. Let’s face it – if it breaks, you know it’s going to be on the hottest day of the year when you’re also hosting an indoor baby shower.
2) While you’re at it, check your furnace/boiler. Wear and tear happens, people. This season might have done some damage. It was a rough one. Better to get on top of that now than wait, forget, and remember next winter when you go to turn it on.
3) Check drainage pipes and outlets now that the snow has begun to reveal your beautiful, muddy yard. Make sure water is flowing where it should and not toward your foundation.
4) Check your gutters. Tighten them, make sure they’re flowing down and you don’t have sitting water.
5) Check your windows. Open them. Wow! Fresh air! Do they stick? Do they stay open? Are the screens in good condition? If you’re feeling bold, you can even switch out storm windows for the screens now so when the weather gets nice, you’re all ready to air out the house.
That’s not a complete list of home maintenance you should consider for spring cleaning, but it should be enough to get the ball rolling. And if you’re thinking back to last summer and realizing that your house wasn’t as comfortable as it could be, go ahead and give us a call. Spring is the perfect time to reconsider your AC needs.
Life can be uncomfortable. With Capital Heat, your home doesn’t have to be.