Tips From The Experts
February 17, 2014
Tips from the Experts
Follow these easy, inexpensive tips to save on your heating bill this winter.
- Install an Energy Star rated, programmable thermostat. Set the program to automatically lower the thermostat at night and during the daytime hours when no one is at home, and see up to a $100 savings on your annual heating bill.
- Remove window air conditioners or purchase quality covers and insulation to prevent leaks and drafts.
- Seal leaky windows and doors with caulk, weather stripping or plastic indoor insulator kits.
- Seal off unused rooms. Close vents and doors in unused rooms and close the damper on your fireplace when it is not in use.
- Change furnace air filters at least every two months; more often if you have pets. Clean furnace filters once a month during the heating season. Furnaces consume less energy if they “breathe” more easily. Use the arrival of your natural gas bill as your reminder to change the filter.
- Keep blinds and drapes of sun-exposed windows open during the day to let in the sun’s free heat but be sure to close them at night.
- Clean floor and wall vents regularly and keep them unobstructed by furniture, drapes or rugs.